Virtual Building Logistics engaged with CVS Caremark to develop a strategy to move all CVS Pharmacy store designs nationally into a Building Information Modeling platform. This project would enable CVS Caremark to work with a minimum number of standard prototypes and utilize an intelligent object library.
CVS Pharmacy is the second largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with over 7,000 stores nationally and Puerto Rico. CVS Pharmacy is the retail pharmacy division of CVS Caremark.
In August 2010, CVS Caremark initiated discussions with VBL to determine the logistics of creating a minimum number (8) of store prototypes. The overarching goal was to standardize store designs across the CVS Pharmacy footprint in order to minimize cost escalation. CVS Caremark’s goals were:
- Reduce the number of store prototypes.
- Standardize store designs across CVS Caremark footprint to minimize cost escalation.
- Reduce the cost of store design delivery and maintenance.
- Increase the quality of store design and delivery.
- Deliver a fully-coordinated model from standardized prototypes that have been fine-tuned through a design and construction coordination process.
- Reduce store delivery schedule.
- Standardize and consolidate the prototype set with modifications for local design components, dramatically reducing the time-to-market. This will allow CVS Caremark to respond quickly to individual store demands.
- BIM will address all issues prior to release to the field, reducing or eliminating change orders.
- Reduce the cost of construction.
- Standardize the designs, tune localization through a continuous improvement process, deliver CNC-integrated shop drawings and eliminate non-owner change orders.
VBL worked with Forsspac on the project, collaborating on specific store models in Arizona, California and Rhode Island and completing BIM prototype buildings for future stores.
Anticipated Project Results:
- Develop an intelligent library to limit the number of site-specific updates, thus reducing costs by over 60%.
- Build an intelligent library that can be modified easily, dramatically reducing the cost of store design delivery by 50%.
CVS Caremark, Forsspac
Building Information Modeling
Contact us for more information.